작성일
수정일
작성자
국제인문사회학부(영어트랙)
조회수

[SIS NEWS] (ENG) U.S. Int'l Org Field Trip Review <Ep. New York>

external_image

Hello, we are Yu-jung Jo, Lim Choi, and Dong-in Kim, who participated in the "U.S. International Organizations Field Trip" team from the School of International Studies(SIS) at Jeonbuk National University. We are grateful to have returned safely with many unforgettable and precious experiences, and we are happy to share our experiences and thoughts with those reading this episode.

The “U.S. International Organizations Field Trip” hosted by the SIS lasted for about 9 nights and 10 days. Under the active leadership of the students, the entire schedule of visits and detailed travel plans were organized. What distinguishes this trip from other field trips is that the students took the initiative to contact the organizations and institutions they wanted to visit, schedule tours, and prepare for interviews with professionals working at these locations. This allowed the students to actively participate in and manage the entire itinerary.

Given the level of effort required from the students, we conducted thorough prior research on the organizations and institutions we wanted to visit and prepared for the interviews. To ensure we asked thoughtful and relevant questions that reflected our interest in these institutions, we continuously considered the format and content of the interviews, revising the questionnaire multiple times and putting effort into repetitive practice. However, during the preparation phase before the actual journey, we encountered several challenges that were difficult to resolve at the undergraduate level, such as contacting certain organizations.

Thankfully, whenever we faced such difficulties, the professors and teaching assistants from the SIS offered us invaluable advice and actively helped us. Their support was crucial in the successful completion of this field trip. We would like to take this opportunity to once again express our deep gratitude to them.

The introduction was a bit long! Now, let’s talk about the 9-night, 10-day journey we recently experienced.

external_image

It took about 13 hours to travel from Incheon to New York’s Newark Liberty Airport. I remember carefully packing essential personal items like a sleep mask, cardigan, and slippers in preparation for the long flight. Since it was such a long journey, I spent the flight reviewing the interview schedules and questionnaires we had prepared and mentally rehearsing the interview scenarios. The excitement and nervousness I felt during that flight are still vivid in my memory.

After landing and leaving the airport, we took a taxi to our hotel, which was located right in the middle of Times Square! Seeing New York’s dazzling nightscape, with its bright billboards and towering skyscrapers, made it feel real that we had finally arrived in New York. Exhausted from the long flight and travel, we checked into our hotel late at night. After making all the necessary preparations for the field trip schedule that would start the next day, we went to bed.

external_image

On our first morning in New York, our first itinerary included visiting Grand Central Terminal and a nearby public library. We stopped by the Visitor Center to get a library card, which we were able to use at the public library located right across the street. The weather in New York was definitely cooler and less humid compared to summer in Korea, making it feel quite pleasant. The greenery and flowers in the landscaping seemed to bring even more life to the New York morning.

After finishing lunch, we were delighted to spot the UN flag on our way to the UN Headquarters! The UN Headquarters is located in the eastern part of New York, and nearby, you can also find various international organizations such as UNDP and UNICEF. It was fascinating and exciting to see the headquarters of international organizations we had learned about in our major classes with our own eyes. In front of the UN Headquarters, flags of member countries from around the world were fluttering, and the sight of the massive headquarters building along with its annexes gathered in one place was grand and impressive.

external_image

external_image

external_image

Through the pre-booked UN guided tour, we were able to learn about the overall history of the UN’s establishment, the trends of key issues over different eras in the international community, and how the UN responded to them, as well as receive an introduction to four of the meeting rooms. Viewing photos of the devastation caused by war, along with displays of weapons and statistics on the scale of the damage, gave us a renewed sense of the importance and necessity of maintaining peace and security for humanity.

external_image

external_image

The next place we visited was the Korean Cultural Center New York (KCCNY). After exploring the beautiful spaces within the center, which embodied the aesthetic of Korea, we had an interview where we discussed the cultural exchange events hosted by the center, the current focus of their programs, efforts to promote Korea-U.S. exchange, and insights from the professionals on their work. It was a fascinating experience to learn about the center’s various exhibitions and performances by Korean artists, as well as programs like Korean cooking classes and traditional clothing experiences that reflect current Korean trends. The discussion allowed us to indirectly feel the atmosphere and dynamics of these programs, making it a highly engaging time.

external_image

external_image

external_image

After concluding the interview, we visited the "Boundary of Existence" exhibition, which was on display at the time. We calmly took in the murals, exhibits, and exhibition spaces, savoring the beauty of Korean culture that the Korean Cultural Center New York had curated. It made me hope that the center’s valuable influence would continue to grow in New York and across the U.S., and that more people would naturally visit, enjoy, and take a moment of rest at this wonderful cultural space.

external_image

external_image

After completing all our schedules, the last place we visited was Wall Street, the financial hub of the world. We could really feel the bustling atmosphere of New York among the crowded masses during rush hour. We explored the buildings of banks and brokerage firms concentrated around the globally recognized New York Stock Exchange. Being right in the middle of this influential financial district, where global capitalism began, was once again a fascinating experience.

external_image

external_image

external_image

external_image

The next day, we headed to the Brooklyn area, visiting Brooklyn Bridge Park and the photo spot known as DUMBO! Unlike the bustling atmosphere of Manhattan, I enjoyed the relatively quiet and relaxed vibe. DUMBO was crowded with people eager to take great photos, and I fondly remember the moments spent chatting with others as we helped each other capture the perfect shots.

As we took in the surroundings, we made our way to the Korean War Veterans Plaza. This was one of the places I had planned to visit while exploring Brooklyn. Located in a central park, it was easily accessible and a spot that Brooklyn residents could frequently visit. Although it was a memorial plaza honoring soldiers from Brooklyn who fought in the Korean War, I was disappointed to find that it seemed somewhat neglected, contrary to my expectations. The names of the veterans who served were engraved on the monument, but the passage of time had made them difficult to read, which was disheartening.

external_image

external_image

external_image

With a respect for the veterans and a sense of disappointment, we hurried to Pier 16, where we could see the Statue of Liberty. Using the tickets we exchanged at the pier, we boarded a cruise that took us right up to the statue, allowing us to see it in person. Along with the Statue of Liberty, we enjoyed views of the Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan Bridge, and the stunning New York skyline. I fondly remember the moment when the cruise guide approached us kindly, offering cute props and helping us take some fantastic photos.

Although it was disappointing that the sky was overcast due to the rain that day, the view of New York’s skyline from the Rockefeller Observation Deck in the rain was absolutely breathtaking.

external_image

external_image

external_image

external_image

The next day, we visited SoHo and Chelsea, areas filled with youthful and sophisticated vibes. I finally got to try the bagel I had been looking forward to tasting in New York! The chewy bagel, rich cream cheese, and various fresh fillings combined to create a fantastic experience. Enjoying an Americano and bagel amidst the beautiful scenery was absolutely the best! It was a wonderful time to soak in the atmosphere while exploring various shops and vintage stores.

external_image

external_image

After enjoying our sightseeing, we returned to the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in Manhattan. This museum showcases numerous artworks that emerged during the period when modern and contemporary art began to flourish in the U.S. It was a rich and enjoyable experience to explore pieces that represent various modern artistic expressions, such as Impressionism, Cubism, and Expressionism, which had a significant influence on contemporary art from the late 19th century to the mid-20th century.

Listening to Professor Shin Bo-ram's docent on Western history was particularly enlightening. She helped us understand how the birth of modern capitalism led to the popularization and mass production of art, reflecting rationality and efficiency, while also encouraging continuous contemplation of humanity throughout that process. It was fascinating to directly identify these themes in the artworks. The impressions left by not just the exhibited pieces but also the spaces throughout the museum were profound. Even amidst our busy schedule, it was a time of relaxation and healing.

external_image

external_image

external_image

external_image

external_image

external_image

As we diligently went through our itinerary, we suddenly found ourselves on the last day in New York. For our meal, we visited the already famous Bukchang-dong Soon Tofu in Koreatown. Tasting the spicy soft tofu stew with generous side dishes made me feel as if I were back in Korea. Throughout the field trip, I often found myself craving Korean food and would seek out well-known Korean restaurants among locals. These places were not only popular among Koreans but also captured the taste buds of other foreign visitors and locals. It was a great reminder of the recognition and popularity of Korean cuisine!

After enjoying a hearty meal, we visited The Korea Society, located in the heart of Manhattan. The Korea Society is a nonprofit organization that works to enhance awareness and cooperation between the U.S. and Korea. Founded in 1957, it has a long history and significant influence. They provide various insights into Korean history, culture, education, society, and politics. During our visit, we had the opportunity to discuss practical aspects of various fields with the professionals there while also learning about the organization’s impact on both Korean society and the international community, as well as its unique qualities.

external_image

external_image

We had the opportunity to freely exchange a wide range of questions about the special programs and internships offered by The Korea Society’s departments—Education, Art & Culture, Development, and Policy—along with their unique approaches to engaging the U.S. and Korean public from a public diplomacy perspective and their achievements. If I had to choose one memorable episode, it would be when I asked whether The Korea Society has any special ceremonies or protocols similar to those of a diplomatic department that play a role in facilitating U.S.-Korea relations. They praised it as a great question and shared relevant regulations and insights, making it a very interesting moment.

external_image

external_image

In particular, The Korea Society was an organization we approached with great anticipation and excitement because we had taken a leading role in the entire process of selecting the visit location—from preliminary research and contacting the organization to coordinating interview schedules through communication with professionals and sharing our questions in advance. Thanks to the warm welcome from the professionals there, we were able to relax and engage with joy. After completing the interview schedule, I suggested taking a group photo using the popular "heart pose" trending in Korea, and they happily agreed, capturing a cheerful moment together.

external_image

external_image

external_image

Having completed our visit schedule in New York, we headed to The Metropolitan Museum of Art (The MET) with light hearts. This museum, which holds a collection of 1.5 million works of art from ancient civilizations to modern times, features exhibitions from various eras and countries, making it one of the most visited art museums in the U.S. The layout allowed for a seamless viewing experience, enabling us to immerse ourselves in the artworks over time. During our visit, I was particularly pleased to see the exhibition "Lineages: Korean Art at The MET," which showcased various ceramics, dishes, and paintings that highlighted the beauty of Korean aesthetics.

external_image

external_image

Leaving behind the romance of the museum and the sunny weather, we took a stroll through Central Park, located just behind it. It was a healing moment amidst our busy schedule, as we enjoyed the blue sky, green plants, and even spotted some cute squirrels. Lying on the vast grass, I watched locals freely reading and exercising with their dogs, truly soaking in the summer vibe of Central Park.

external_image

external_image

On our last night in New York, filled with a sense of longing, we attended performances of "Chicago" and "The Great Gatsby" on Broadway, the heart of musical theater. I was truly impressed by the dazzling stage setups and the perfect harmony of the actors! Times Square, one of New York's iconic landmarks, was even more vibrant at night. Despite being crowded with tourists, the bustling atmosphere added to the quintessential New York vibe, making it enjoyable. I had fun exploring the nearby American Hershey’s Chocolate store, the Disneyland store, and various souvenir shops.

The following content continues with the Washington D.C episode...!

첨부파일
첨부파일이(가) 없습니다.