국제인문사회학부(영어트랙)
조회수

[SIS NEWS] (ENG) U.S. Int'l Org Field Trip Review <Ep. Washington D.C.>

external_image

external_image

external_image

external_image

external_image

After leaving behind the vibrant schedule in New York, I headed to Washington, D.C., with mixed feelings, traveling by train for about three hours. As soon as I arrived in D.C., I could feel the cooler weather compared to New York. The summer heat, which had soared up to 36 degrees, had recently subsided, and by evening, it was cool enough to wear a thick cardigan or sweater.

external_image

external_image

After unpacking at the new accommodation, we went looking for a place to have a late meal and found a bibimbap restaurant right near our lodging! It was a DIY-style restaurant where you could choose fresh ingredients like various vegetables, meat, rice, and noodles to create your own meal. Aside from us, all the other customers were foreigners, and we could see them customizing their meals into poke bowls, noodles, or rice dishes based on their preferences, which made me realize once again how popular Korean cuisine is. I was satisfied that from the very first day in D.C., we were able to enjoy a hearty and delightful meal.

external_image

external_image

As the evening deepened, we headed to Nationals Park with some light snacks in hand, where a game between the Washington Nationals and the Colorado Rockies was underway. Unlike Korean baseball stadiums, where it's common to enjoy chicken and beer brought from outside, I was surprised to learn that in American ballparks, certain outside food and drinks, like bottles or cans exceeding one liter, are prohibited. The thorough security checks and bag inspections also stood out as a memorable and interesting experience.

external_image

external_image

external_image

The first exciting tour in Washington D.C. was at The World Bank! The World Bank Group is an expanded organization consisting of five international financial institutions, with the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA) being the main bodies commonly known as the World Bank. The buildings belonging to the World Bank Group are scattered throughout the area near the headquarters, covering a vast space. In the lobby, I was delighted to see displays about famous scholars who made significant contributions to global economic development, major world financial events, and the World Bank’s contributions to the Sustainable Development Goals, many of which I had learned about in my undergraduate classes.

external_image

external_image

After a brief tour of the building's facilities, we moved to the conference room, where we were given an overview of the World Bank and had a discussion with a current employee about the practical processes of development projects and recent trends. The conversation provided detailed insights into the roles, goals, and project execution of the five institutions that make up the World Bank Group, which I found fascinating.

What stood out most was learning about how the Gender Tag, developed by the cross-cutting Gender Group where the employee works, is used to assess and measure the outcomes of development projects. Additionally, I learned that the World Bank is increasingly focused on evaluating how many people directly benefit from development projects, highlighting the growing importance of assessing a project's effectiveness and impact to improve its utility and success.

external_image

external_image

external_image

It was an exciting and valuable experience to learn about the internal workings and practical aspects of the organization, which can't simply be found through research or literature. Hearing from current professionals who are directly involved in the real-world efforts to eradicate poverty and promote economic development in developing countries was truly inspiring. This encounter provided me with great motivation to grow into a respectable adult and professional who, like these individuals, can contribute to global peace and development through institutions like the World Bank in the future.

external_image

external_image

external_image

After wrapping up our schedule at the World Bank, we enjoyed a pleasant meal with our professor and teacher before heading to the Woodrow Wilson Center. The Woodrow Wilson Center, established in 1968 to honor U.S. President Woodrow Wilson, is a think tank that focuses on foreign policy, security, climate crisis, and issues related to migration and refugees. It is a nonpartisan social science research organization that plays a key role by combining academic and policy research to enhance understanding of global issues. Based on this research, the Center provides valuable advice to Congress, the executive branch, and the international policy community to help in the development of policies.

external_image

external_image

The Woodrow Wilson Center has a "Korea Center," established with support from Hyundai Motor and the Korea Foundation (KF), which provides insights and information on public policy discussions related to the Korean Peninsula in the U.S. and abroad. During our visit, we had the opportunity to meet with the staff of the Korea Center and junior scholars. Notably, we met a Korean junior scholar working through the "KF Global Challenger Overseas Internship Program," and we had meaningful discussions about this internship, international organization careers, and career development. Through this conversation, I gained practical advice on my career path and realized the importance of gaining both academic research and practical experience in an international setting.

external_image

external_image

After the meeting, we had the chance to explore various parts of the center, including research and academic spaces, venues for forums and seminars, and an internal library filled with resources for scholars' studies and research. The beautiful architecture of the building, blending seamlessly with the scenic views of D.C., left a lasting impression on me. I was particularly touched by the staff member's evident affection for Korea, as they generously shared recently published research materials with us. The junior scholars also made a strong impression, openly sharing their experiences and advice, which I deeply appreciated.

external_image

external_image

external_image

After finishing the tour, I felt a sense of accomplishment and my spirits lifted, allowing me to fully appreciate the beautiful scenery of Washington, D.C. Once the tension from the tour eased, I craved something sweet and headed to a nearby gelato shop, where my flavor choices turned out to be a great success!

As I strolled around, I enjoyed the stunning night view of the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument as the sunset faded. One of the most memorable moments was lying on the expansive grass right in front of me, gazing up at the clear, cloudless sky while taking a break. It felt like a well-deserved reward after a long, busy day.

external_image

external_image

external_image

This day was dedicated to exploring campuses in Washington, D.C., and I was filled with anticipation about what the atmosphere at American universities would be like. Our first stop was Georgetown University. Located a bit further from the city center, the Georgetown area has a charming and historic ambiance that made it even more memorable.

We were shown around the campus by a doctoral student in the Government program, who generously shared valuable information and advice about preparing for graduate studies. It was a meaningful experience, especially as we discussed various scholarship opportunities available for master's programs and the practical challenges and preparations for living abroad. I found the conversation to be very enlightening and beneficial for my future plans.

external_image

external_image

external_image

external_image

external_image

Since it was just before the start of the semester, students were moving into the dorms, and we could see new students greeting each other with bright smiles and engaging in small talk, which made us feel excited as well. After thoroughly exploring the beautiful campus, we had a delightful lunch at the campus cafeteria, which I also remember fondly.

I got to try the famous cupcakes from Georgetown, and they definitely exceeded my expectations in sweetness! However, the cute presentation and the moist cake really won me over.

external_image

external_image

The campus tour and meeting with a doctoral professor from The School of International Service at American University were also very beneficial and enjoyable. They generously shared valuable information about the application process for graduate studies, including necessary documents, writing tips, eligibility requirements, application timelines, and how to select and refine research topics.

I found it interesting that the abbreviation for the School of International Service is “SIS,” which is the same as the English acronym for the International Studies department. It was great to engage in an honest conversation about the important aspects to consider as I approach graduation, allowing me to seek practical advice for my future plans.

external_image

external_image

external_image

Since it was the beginning of the new semester, the campus was lively with newly admitted students and returning students heading to classes. On the first floor of the building where we had our meeting, there were many books available for students to take freely. This scene seemed to reflect the strong academic enthusiasm at the school, and I found it quite impressive.

external_image

external_image

While exploring the campus with the professor, I came across familiar Jeju specialties: the Dolhareubang statues and the native Jeju royal cherry trees! It was fascinating to see the Dolhareubang in America, as it added an exotic touch to the surroundings. The royal cherry trees, donated by the National Institute of Forest Science of Korea, play a symbolic role in promoting ongoing historical and scientific exchanges between Korea and the U.S. through ecological diplomacy. It was a valuable experience to meet such esteemed professors and gain practical advice and various insights.

external_image

external_image

external_image

After finishing the campus visits, we headed to the Library of Congress. Located in Washington, D.C., it is the largest library in the world, housing millions of books, films, videos, audio recordings, photographs, newspapers, maps, and manuscripts. The library is particularly filled with books dedicated to significant research for the U.S. Congress, making it a source of knowledge and inspiration where researchers from around the world gather to access materials that are not available to the public.

external_image

external_image

I was overwhelmed by the vast amount of materials and the stunning architecture of the Library of Congress. Thanks to the professor accompanying us, we were fortunate enough to explore the research spaces as well. Watching many individuals passionately studying there filled me with respect for their dedication.

The library offered convenient features, allowing us to search for the materials we needed and reserve them for borrowing using the computers scattered throughout. In addition to books, we could also find information about various ongoing exhibitions.

external_image

external_image

external_image

external_image

After a short but memorable time in Washington, D.C., I returned to New York for my flight home. Knowing it was my last night in the city made me feel a mix of sadness and gratitude, especially as I reflected on successfully completing my lengthy itinerary. We enjoyed a delicious meal and sweet desserts at a French restaurant, taking the time to share our thoughts and reminisce about the experiences we had.

The 9-day journey in the U.S., though brief, has gifted me with precious memories and motivation that I will cherish for a lifetime.

첨부파일
첨부파일이(가) 없습니다.